Shafiq: You can't let the pressure get to you


In the few chances that he's had so far, Asad Shafiq has already impressed both the fans and the critics. He has that rare ability to build an innings, a skill that is even rarer amongst Pakistani batsmen.


His performances during the 2011 World Cup have only served to cement his reputation. Shafiq played a gritty and attritional innings against Australia to help Pakistan end the Aussies 34 match unbeaten streak.

Speaking exclusively to Cricistan.com, Asad relived his important innings against Australia.

"Before the game began I was determined that this would be the match that would end Australia's undefeated streak. I knew that the last team to beat Australia was Pakistan and therefore it would only be fitting if Pakistan were the team to end the streak as well. I used that thought to motivate myself and I was determined that I would play my part in making sure that Pakistan won the match" said Shafiq.

I asked Shafiq what went though his mind before he went out to bat and he said "Thanks to some fantastic work from our bowlers, we had a low total to chase and so our confidence was high. However I'd seen too many Pakistani collapses against Australia to become complacent about it. When we lost an early wicket, I decided that I would stay at the wicket for as long as I could. I knew that if one of us batsmen could make a stand and blunt the Aussie attack then it would help to calm the person coming in at the other end. When you're chasing a low total, all it takes is one batsman to hold up one end and you can win the game."

I asked Shafiq how it felt when wickets kept falling around him and he said that he didn't let it faze him or affect his concentration.

"That's the nature of cricket, wickets will fall. You can't worry about what is happening at the other end. If you start to do that then it will get to you and you will be walking to the dressing room yourself. What I do is that I worry about the things that I do have control over, like my own batting and concentration. Of course you will give advice to the person at the other end but you cant allow yourself to come under pressure from the scoring rate or if you're losing partners at the other end. If you stick on the wicket, then you will become used to the conditions and the bowling and then you can make up the runs later in the innings." Shafiq told Cricistan.com

I asked Shafiq what his best international innings was so far and he told me that it was his knock against Australia.

"It has to be the innings against Australia. There are so many reasons for it. Ending the undefeated streak, holding one end up and bringing the team within touching distance of the score. For me it's the innings that took the most out of me as a player but I hope that the next time you ask me this question I'll have a few more innings to talk about ahead of this one. Insha Allah (God Willing) I just want to improve with every game." said Shafiq.

No comments:

Post a Comment