Waqar denies rift with Afridi.


Pakistan coach Waqar Younis has denied claims that he interfered with Shahid Afridi's work as captain.

Afridi has retired, temporarily at least, from international cricket after losing the one-day captaincy to Misbah-ul-Haq - a move he saw as a humiliation by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Reports have attributed that decision to a breakdown in relations between Waqar and Afridi.

The coach has said the first he heard of any rift was in the media and declared himself happy with Afridi's leadership.

He told the Associated Press of Pakistan: "As a coach I have my own domain and I know my job description and I never interfered in Afridi's job nor in selection affairs.

"Afridi was a good captain and I was satisfied with his captaincy. I have my own mindset and I always try to concentrate on my job and I will follow the same in future as well as long as I am the coach of the team."

The enigmatic all-rounder, who retired from Test cricket shortly after assuming the captaincy in that format last summer, was due to represent Hampshire in the Friends Life t20 but has had his No Objection Certificate withdrawn by the PCB as a result of the current row.

No comments:

Post a Comment